Foie Gras is fattened goose liver and a delicacy in french cuisine. Its taste is buttery and simply melts in your mouth. You can buy them whole or as pâté. Its price does not come cheap when sold in fine dining restaurants. For this recipe I bought half a liver (deveined) and got the supplier to vacuum pack it for me. It can be intimidating cooking foie gras for the first time as it’s so delicate and can easily tear or crumble and you keep worrying about destroying this expensive little piece of liver. This is my 2nd dish with Foie Gras and this is a simple appetizer as a starter.
Ingredients (Serves 1-2)
1. Foie Gras (about 2 inch thickness)
2. 1 Portobello mushroom cap
3. 4-6 stalks of asparagus
4. 1-2 tomatoes – diced
5. 1 medium onion – chopped
6. Cream cheese
7. Mozzarella & Cheddar Cheese mix
8. Olive oil
9. Salt & pepper
Preparing the Portobello mushroom
1) Remove the core of the Portobello mushroom
2) Drizzle olive oil on the mushroom, use a brush if you have one.
3) Season with salt and pepper.
4) Season both sides of the mushroom.
5) Spread cream cheese evenly over the portobello cap.
6) Sprinkle on the mozzarella & cheddar cheese mix.
7) Season with salt and pepper.
8) Into the oven it goes, I used 250 deg Celsius / 480 deg Fahrenheit for about 10 mins. It is ready when the cheese is melted.
9) Once done, remove and set aside.
10) To even the length of the asparagus, line them in a straight line from the head.
11) Use a knife and cut off the excess to even the length.
12) Cook them in boiling water for about 1 minute.
13) Immediately soak them in ice water to “shock” and halt the cooking process. This is to prevent them from becoming soggy. This process is called blanching.
14) Once they cool down, drain and pat dry. Set aside
15) Add butter to a skillet under low-medium heat.
16) Sauté the asparagus. Add salt and pepper to taste.
17) Plate the asparagus and portobello mushroom. Add a dollop of cream cheese, chopped onions and diced tomatoes.
18) Season the foie gras with salt and pepper.
19) Sear them for about 1-2 min each side till the surface is charred then remove from heat. No need to add any oil, the foie gras will render its own oil.
20) Once the foie gras is ready, remove and plate on the portobello mushroom. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Presenting my Pan-Seared Foie Gras on Portobello and Cheese.
Thanks for viewing !