Hairy crabs are a delicacy in China especially during Autumn. The Hairy Crab season starts from September and continues all the way till year end. Steaming is the most popular way to cook the Hairy Crab as it preserves the original aroma of the crab. Restaurants will stock them in huge numbers and they can be rather expensive. For this dish, I prepared a dipping sauce of ginger, vinegar and brown sugar coupled with the sweetness of the crab meat and enjoyed in the comfort of your own home. Bon appetit !
Ingredients (Serves 1-2)
1) 3 Hairy crabs
2) Black vinegar (3 tblspoons)
3) Brown sugar (1 teaspoon)
4) Ginger (thumb size)
1) Wash the crabs and brush them under running water to remove any dirt. Do not remove the string holding the crab.
2) Prepare a wok and fill with water and place the crabs head downwards and steam for about 15 mins under high heat.
3) While waiting for the crabs to be ready, dice the ginger into small pieces.
4) Add the vinegar followed by the brown sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves.
5) Pour the sauce into small dipping saucers. Set aside.
6) Once the crabs are ready, let it cool down for about 5 mins before removing from the steamer.
7) Remove the string and serve immediately.
Discard the gills located on each side of the crab as well as the heart (Whitish rectangular flesh in the centre) after you lift up the top shell.
Other than that anything else soft is edible.
Presenting my Steamed Hairy Crabs.
Thanks for viewing !